Thursday, June 14, 2012

LadyMaking


It's been a long time since I've posted anything, mainly because we've been so busy with house projects, school, and life in general, BUT it's time to get back in the swing of things!

An update on our living room and office will be forthcoming, but I am very excited to introduce an upcoming series of posts: LadyMaking. As many of my good friends know, while I like to get my hands dirty, I also have a deep love for anything overly feminine, ruffly and/or intricately detailed. I didn't fully realize that this was an oddity until a trip to DesMoines and an introduction to West End Salvage, a great BIG store filled with untouched and reworked antiques and a few vintage finds scattered in between. While perusing the wares with a co-worker, I squealed, put my hands to my cheeks and half whispered/half screeched "ohhh, ladythings!" at the sight of an old hand mirror, brush and comb set. I stepped forward and looked back toward my coworker, fully expecting the same reaction from her, and realized she was cracking up over my excitement at these feminine frivolities. 

So, the first half of the name of the series comes from this love of "ladythings" and I also just like the word "lady".

The "Making" comes from my friends and me getting together and crafting things. LadyMaking will feature a how-to based on one of the projects from the group which will gather on Monday nights starting June 18th. I will provide a project theme and LadyMakers can bring supplies and work within the proposed theme OR tackle any project their heart desires.

I'm free from the reins of grad school (Thank You Iowa State) and ready to rejoin the world by getting together with friends to do one of my pre-grad school favorite things, crafting and making all things lovely and functional. 

June 18th Project Theme: Cork
I'm personally planning to begin stitching together sliced, used wine corks into a large trivet/countertop protector, so we'll see how this goes :)